Currently, the government subsidy programs that best matches the companies at NKIC are:
1. New leading product development program
2. To encourage small business innovation research program (SBIR)
If the applicant qualifies for the government subsidy program, the reasonable subsidy includes the following: Personnel expense, travel expense, material fee, maintenance fee, and business expense. On the loans aspect (including credit guarantee fund) and the tax relief aspect, companies can receive up a 5 years tax holiday.
At the moment, there are 2 companies at NKIC that have applied for the new leading product development program. One company has been approved while the other have recently entered the review stage. Many companies at NKIC who have recently applied for the credit guarantee fund and the five-year tax holiday program have also passed. For more additional information, please contact the administrative office at NKIC.
According to note 3 of the customs import tarriff, no tariff will be charged to the IC design-related companies for import purchases of equipments/instruments. Please report the import purchase to the Industrial Development Bureau (IDB) by providing the proper paperwork which proves the company is not a manufacturer and is currently registered in Taiwan.
When applying for consolidated income tax, dual nationality holders who have household registration are required to report its identification, occupancy, and its residency to the national tax administration’s foreign taxpayer department in Taiwan or to the foreign country’s national tax administration. Likewise, dual nationality holder without household registration but lived in the country for a full 183 days are required to report as well.
When applying for consolidated income tax, dual nationality holder without household registration and lived in Taiwan for less than 183 days of residency must report to the local national tax administration’s foreign taxpayer department for non-resident identity declaration.
If the resident is alternating between two or more passports when entering or exiting out of Taiwan, all immigration record must be provided to the national tax administration’s foreign taxpayer department. If using identity to work in Taiwan, the information above must be submitted together along with the work permit.
- Startup Companies Criteria: Pre-IPO SME or startups that are registered in Taiwan.
Period of Occupancy: 4 years (Time may be extended base on project extent)
1. Fabless IC design
2. Internet-related software
3. Embedded Software development
4. ICT system design/integration
5. Medical, green energy, and automotive electronics
- Jointly Development Criteria: Fabless IC design-related SME which are registered in Taiwan and are interested in joint-development or in needs of technical services or support from ITRI/NKIC.
Period of Occupancy: Depends on the proposed project timeline
**NKIC membership are subjected to approval by a review committee
A copy of the membership application business plan proposal & presentation.
Content should include: Products, technologies, management team, market analysis, and financial related planning details.
1. Company profile
2. Management team: Founding & key members background information
3. Summary of the technology or product's innovation, impact, and valuation
4. Financial plan: Estimation of the profit and loss statement, the cash flow in the 3-5 years span and market analysis plus the commercialization plan
5. Comprehensive needs: EDA demands, SWOT analysis, collaboration, technology transfer, or joint development
Please provide the following information below:
1. Expansion planning of the staff members within 1-2 years (Technical / non-technical)
2. Required office space
3. Customer orders
4. Prove of capital increase
5. Planning of EDA usage
6. Status reports of product / technology
Please submit the document in a hard copy and after our internal review, we will inform the applicant if the extension will be granted.
There are no capital limit set for applicants at the NKIC, but NKIC membership are subjected to approval by a review committee. Applicants must provide a business plan, which includes the estimation of the profit and loss statement, cash flow in the 3-5 years span, and market analysis plus the commercialization plan. After the committee meeting is held, the committee members will than determine whether the company can grow steadily with the proposed business plan.
If at this stage, the company cannot prove actual revenue growth, then it may enter NKIC as a conditional approved member. Once the pending funds arrive, then it can supplement the needed documents than.
Companies who are currently in the fund-raising stage but wishes to enter NKIC as a member, committee assessment for membership can still be arranged (term is for 1 year). There will be no liability in the future after the 1 year term is over.
NKIC provides a state-of-the-art facility to assist potential IC-related startups which have advanced and/or innovative technologies or product ideas to grow quickly and successfully. Recently, in conjunction with the National Program for Intelligent Electronics (NPIE), NKIC has extended its programs to intelligent electronic technologies and encouraged industry-developing innovative applications in areas such as medical, green energy, and automotive electronics.
By using the EDA service, computing infrastructure support, measurement equipment, and other knowledge-based services through NKIC, startup companies can save up to 40%~60% from its annual cost.
Companies who are not in the IC design industry, but are closely related with IC design by using EDA tools and related to design service etc., can also apply to become NKIC member, since it also fits in the government’s technology incubation plan. However, due to the agreement between the EDA vendors and NKIC, whether such company can use the EDA tool through NKIC is subject to the consent of the EDA vendor. Member companies at NKIC can still enjoy the IT service and measurement equipment’s rental discount.
By establishing an oversea holding company through (Cayman Islands, BVI, etc.), a foreign company and its shareholders can enjoy the most benefit by using the holding company to invest in Taiwan, and set the Taiwan branch as a subsidiary company instead of a foreign company. With the current law in place, it’s important not to set the company as a foreign company in Taiwan, due to the fact foreign companies cannot receive government/ R&D funding and tax incentives.
There are multiple expressways and numerous bus routes servicing downtown Taipei and neighboring areas, e.g. Neihu and Hsichih. The Tri- rail systems, i.e. Taiwan Railway(TRA), Taipei Metro(MRT), and Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) connects to the Songshan Airport, Taoyuan International Airport, and Hsinchu Science park conveniently & on time.
＊A new MRT express service to Taoyuan International Airport will start in 2013.
＊THSR Nangang station will be open for business in 2014.
- From National Freeway No.1：Head to「Nangang Business Park」.
- Northbound exit：Take exit 「Donghu (Kangning Road) Interchange」.
- Southbound exit：Take exit 「Chenggong Road Interchange」.
- From National Freeway No.3: Take exit 「Xizhi Sintai 5th Road Interchange」 or 「Nangang Interchange」, then head for 「Nangang Business Park」.
From Taipei city town: Take onto 「Huandong Boulevard」, then take exit 「Jingmao 2nd Road」.
- After getting off the train at NanGang Station, take a 10~15minute walk.
- From Bannan Line: After getting off at 「MRT Kunyang Station」, take a bus to 「Nangang Stop」 or 「Nangang Software Park Stop」.
- From Bannan Line: After getting off at「MRT Nangang Station」, take a 10~15 minute walk.
- From Wenhu Line: After getting off at 「MRT Nangang Software Park Station」, take a 10 minute walk. This line can directly access「MRT Songshan Airport Station」.
- Nangang Stop：203、205、212、276、281、306、605、668
- Nangang Software Park Stop：51、311、620、629、645、Shiao 1、Blue-12、Blue-21、Blue-22
- MRT Kunyang Station to NangKong Software Park：Blue-15, Blue-23, 281, and so on.
- NangKong Software Park shuttle buses: Tianmu line, Tucheng line, Beitou line, and Zhonghe & Xindian line. (Transportation roadmap)
- Parking Info: There are visitor parking spaces available at the underground parking of Nankang Software Park (phase I, II) and street parking are spaces are available around the Nankang Software Park.
- Taipei BUS Information and Transit System (Bus and MRT information).
The environment around NK Software Park provides a convenience surrounding which includes cafes, fast food restaurants, convenience stores, post office, banks, laundromat, hospital, snack vendors, elementary school, grocery store, and a variety of restaurants within walking distance.
The living expense around Taipei City is extremely high, but NKIC is located in a very convenience location. You can reach NKIC by:
- 5 mins drive from the nearest highway exit by car
- 10 mins walk from the Nakang MRT Station (Blue Line)
Cheaper housing options can be considered in areas such as Hsichih, Keelung, and other cities located in Taipei County, which can be reached conveniently by taking public transportation or car.
NKIC provides wireless internet services to its members and visitors:
Please open the wireless network and select the SSID wireless network "WLAN @ NK_ICDIC" or "WLAN2 @ NK_ICDIC".
To obtain the password, please contact the service counter or a staff member at the NKIC.
1.EETIMES, NE- Nikkei Electronics Asia, EDA ASIA, Industrial Technology Monthly, eCommon Wealth Magazine, Global Views Magazine, and Business Week, etc. Please visit the 9FE resting lounge, or the 10FE NKIC administration offices. All the past and present issues of the articles can found in these areas.
2. The NKIC home page also provides up to date industry reports and news.